Friday, November 12, 2010

Why you should graduate High School

Today I took a short stroll to the local tobacco store. I had received a coupon for $5 off a pack of cigarettes from American Spirits. While American Spirits is not my usual brand I am never one to turn down a bargain. I know from past experience that this store is not in the habit of hiring college graduates (that is the understatement of the year!)  I walk in, ask for a pack of American Spirits in the yellow box and lay my $5 coupon on the counter. This is where the fun begins.

First the woman picks up the coupon, looks at me, then begins to tell me how her "brutha can't use his $10 coupon so [I] can't use [my] $5 coupon." I imagine that her brother's coupon was for a cigarette other than American Spirits since American Spirits is not a popular cigarette.  I asked her why.  Her reply was as follows: "You can't use dis coupon for $5 cause den it's like you are gettin a pack of cigarettes for almost free."  I calmly replied "that is the point of a coupon."
By this time the manager, also one of America's finely educated cigarette store clerks, has entered the picture. She says they cannot accept the coupon. I leave a bit angry but not over the top...yet. I walk out to my truck and retrieve the letter that came with my coupon from American Spirits that lists this tobacco store as a store that will accept their coupons. I walk back into the store, ask for the manager, and hand her the letter. She and the clerk make several remarks about how they "won't never take no mo coupons again."

Finally after letting me know that they think this is unfair and that they "wont be takin no mo coupons cause I aint gonna lose no money outs my pockets", they took the damn coupon.

There are several observations to be made here.

  1. Get an education. If you do not get an education you will be stuck behind the counter of a tobacco store arguing about a goddamned coupon!
  2. The customer is always right. This motto held true in the past and it still holds true today. If there is a problem, apologize to the customer and ask if there is something else you can do to assist them.
  3. Don't be a bitch. I understand your job sucks and you are mad because you made poor life decisions but, unless you want to lose the crappy job you have and be unemployed, smile a little and don't be a bitch!
  4. I don't give a shit about your brother or his $10 coupon.
With all this drama, I really think I should try and quit smoking again, if only to avoid ignorant tobacco clerks.

No comments:

Post a Comment